|In order to assist our customers and expedite the PCB services, we have detailed below the commonly asked questions about PCB manufacturing.
Are my design files secure when I send them to you?Your files are held in complete safety and security while Bittele Electronics is in possession of them. Your files are never shared nor will any third parties have access to your design files. Since they are your property, we respect the copyright of your files. The customer controls the disposition of these files per your requirements and written approval.
For small quantity orders, can you produce prototype PCBs?Yes. Bittele has the capability to produce PCBs in any amount. But,the greater the quantity, the greater the cost savings.
Do you have an order minimum?We accept order with as low as a quantity of 1 (piece or panel).
Are my costs negotiable?Bittele attempts to offer the lowest costs in the global electronic manufacturing industry. However, we can discuss cost modifications when merited.
How are my total costs determined?There are many factors in play for determining the total cost of a PCB orders. The primary factors are:
- Size and number of PCBs produced.
- Amount of layers (single or multi-layered)
- Utilization of panels: the utilization of PCBs vary, but generally they are 50 to 80 percent. This amount of utilization affects your costs.
- Holes and Drilling Time: PCB holes are drilled using expensive Numerical Control (NC) drilling machines. Therefore, more holes requires more time and costs.
- Size of Holes: different hole-sizes required a re-tooling of the drilling machinery, which takes time and adds to the total cost. So, PCBs with fewer sizes of holes can be drilled at less cost than those PCBs with many different sizes of holes. Tool changes can be a time consuming process. The drilling speeds are typically at 80,000 rpm/min. At this high RPM, it takes time for the machine spindle to come to rest before the tool can be changed. Once the tool is changed the machine must be ramped up to the high operating speed again. In general, the time it takes to change a tool equals the time it takes to drill up to 200 holes. You can save money by designing for manufacturing. Selecting hole sizes with only a nominal difference in diameter (mils) can pass tolerances and save you money.
- Type of Board Laminate: FR-4 has superior characteristics but costs twice as much as FR-2. Consumer electronics PCBs continue to use the traditional with FR-2 laminates because of the cost savings.
- Spacing and Trace width specifications: the size of your spacing an trace width specifications direly affect the production yield, which, in turn, determines your costs. Wide traces (greater than 20 mils) can save money since they can be produced by etch-resist, single silk screen printing in lieu of dry film lamination, exposure and developing.
- Special PCB specifications: a variety of unique specifications can affect the manufacturing field, which determines your costs. For example, controlled impedances, among others.
Can PCBs be ordered with top and bottom silk screen?Yes. There are no additional fees.
Can Bittele produce PCBs with overlapping drills?We prefer not to use overlapping drills in the manufacturing process. Instead, we advise you to tab-route or V score to separate the panels.
What is the standard thickness of laminate that Bittele uses?1.6 mm (0.063″)
What are all your options for laminate thickness?We can handle the following non-standard thicknesses: 0.2mm (0.0079″), 0.4mm (0.016″), 0.6mm (0.024″), 0.8 mm (0.032″), 1.0 mm (0.04″), 1.2mm (0.047″), 2.0mm (0.079″), and 2.3mm (0.091″).
Do you have the capability of manufacturing high frequency materials? Rogers?While expensive, we can manufacture these materials. Contact us for pricing prior to placing an order.
What are the technical details of the physical properties of the laminates Bittele uses?
- Laminate brand: CC-5400
- Vendor: CKC TAIWAN
- ANSI grade: FR-4
- Laminate thickness 0.5 mm (0.020″), 0.8 mm (0.032″), 1.0 mm (0.040″), 1.5 mm (0.062″)
- CU thickness 18 um (1/2 oz) or 35 um (1 oz)
- Operating temperature Tg > 130 C
- Soldering 260C/500F – 40 sec., 290C/554F – 20 sec.
- Dielectric constant 1Mhz: 4.0 – 4.5, guaranteed < 5.0
- Dissipation factor 1MHz: 0.02-0.03, guaranteed < 0.03
- Volume resistivity: Ohm.cm > 5*10^14
- UL 94V-0, UL746 CTI 100
What options exist for the thickness of copper?0.5 oz, 1.0 oz, 1.5 oz, 2.0 oz, 2.5 oz, 3.0 oz, 3.5 oz, 4.0 oz, 4.5 oz and 5.0 oz.
In your PCB production facilities, what type of solder mask Does Bittele use?Liquid Photo Image-able (LPI) Solder mask
How does the solder mask affect my total costs?The solder mask has no effect on your costs. It is standard for PCB prototypes. All PCBS are manufactures with solder mask.
What are the color options for PCB solder masks?Green, black, blue, red green, yellow and white
What are the options for surface finishes?The options include HASL, Immersion gold, Immersion tin, Immersion Silver, OSP, and HASL lead free. Call for other options.
What file formats do you accept for PCB assembly?We accept only Gerber RS-274X format.
Are you capable of manufacturing a PCB design using digital images such as BMPs, GIFs, TIFFs, or JPGs?No. These file formats do not have the quality nor resolution required for PCB production.
If this page does not answer your questions, feel free to contact our technical support:Tel: 1-888-820-0433
Technical Support is available from 10:00AM to 6:30PM (EST)